Anthem Properties has revealed a sneak peak of their upcoming Surrey City Centre project at King George Blvd and 102 Avenue. Since submitting a Development Application back in October 2016, a conceptual rendering has since been posted on the Anthem Properties project page, along with a proposed site plan. Details at this time are limited, but what is known is:
- The project is described as a 1,500,000 sq.ft. master planned community with a total of 7 residential towers above newly created retail and office spaces.
- The current parcel will broken up into 7 new sites, containing a mix of commercial retail, office, and residential uses, with a residential tower on each site.
- 2 new east-west streets will be introduced (102A Ave and 103 Ave), 1 new north-south street (136A St), and 1 new north-south ‘urban green lane’.
- The project is consistent with the City Centre Plan for this area
Proposed site plan: https://anthemproperties.com/content/site_plans/0244_SitePlan.pdf
From the conceptual rendering and site plan released, it’s apparent that:
- There will be a central plaza at the heart of the development with a public art installation and a full-service restaurant with patio space fronting onto the plaza.
- Townhouses will be located towards the north of the site.
- Commercial retail units will be located at ground level throughout the development.
- An office entrance is shown fronting King George Blvd indicating office uses may be concentrated on upper levels fronting KGB.
Curiously, some brand placement has been shown on the early rendering, including Japanese clothing retailer Uniqlo. It is unclear at this time whether this is purely aspirational placement, or if Anthem is eyeing these particular tenants for the development. Uniqlo recently entered the Canadian market in 2016 with 2 stores in Toronto. It is expected that they will also enter the Vancouver market within the next few years, timing right with Anthem’s Surrey City Centre development.
While the timeline of the project is unclear, it is clear that the project will be developed in phases, likely corresponding with the sites shown on the plan, beginning with Site 1.
Site 1, which is currently under application with the City, is located at the bottom of the property near the corner of 102 Ave and Whalley Blvd. It appears that this site will contain a 30-storey residential tower, ground-level retail, and what looks to be big-box type retail on the 2nd or 3rd floors. Details on the plan indicate the possibly of this being a grocery store, possibly a relocated Save-On-Foods from its existing location to the north on the property.
It is expected that the project could appear before council sometime later this year.