A development application has finally been submitted for a proposed 50-storey ‘Education Mega Centre’ first announced last fall by WestStone Group. The mixed-use building which is to consist of student housing, a college campus, commercial uses, and hotel, is set to replace the well-known Stardust roller skating rink that has been on the site since the 1970’s. The project is a partnership between the education and student-housing investment company CIBT Education Group and Surrey developer WestStone Group. CIBT already owns and operates a global network of business, technical, and language colleges throughout North America and Asia.
According to CIBT’s website, the proposed Mega Center is expected to be an iconic 50-storey high-rise tower. Details include:
- The Mega Centre will be located at the heart of Surrey city center immediately between Simon Fraser University and future location of Kwantlan Polytechnic University. With Surrey’s state of the art Civic Library and the iconic Surrey City Hall located within one block, along with Surrey Central SkyTrain station and the central bus loop located in front of the Mega Center and the upcoming Light Rail Transit (LRT) system on its doorstep, this is one of the most desirable and convenient locations for students and visitors.
- It is being proposed that the podium of the Mega Center (levels 1 to 2) will provide for many supporting amenities such as a food court, student lounge, computer centre, electronic library, conference rooms as well as office space for education consultants and other industry related services.
- Levels 3 to 6 will be leased to 20 educational institutions from around the world as their satellite campuses in Surrey.
- Levels 8 to 26 will be comprised of residential suites designed for long term stay international students.
- Levels 7 and 27 will be comprised of amenity space such as fitness centre and lounges for long term residents and student hotel guests.
- Upper floors from level 28 to 49 will be GEC’s flagship student hotel for short term stays.
- Level 50 will be the front desk and check in area for the student hotel.
- The Mega Center will consist of approximately 550,000 square feet and a development budget of $230 million.